Wednesday, September 2, 2009

MORNING DEVOTIONS

Why is it so hard for some christian couples to read the Bible and pray together?

Regretfully, I even know of some minister families who do not pray together. Wow, are they ever missing a blessing. You don't have to spend an hour or so to have devotions. It can be just a few minutes, but they are blessed minutes.

Men often do not want to take the time, or they do not want to be transparent, or they don't know how to have devotions. 

My parents taught me the value of morning devotions. They always took time to read the Bible and pray with us even if we missed the bus to school. We could miss the bus, but we could not miss the family devotions.

Wanda and I are using a book entitled "Devotions for Couples" by Patrick Morley for our morning devotions. It is a quick read with a Scripture, reading text, application, and prayer. It is an easy devotion and I would recommend it for couples who need an extra boost. Thankfully, we don't need that "extra boost" in our marriage, but we want to make our marriage the best it can be. Prayer certainly helps make that happen. I am thankful that I have someone who will pray with me and believe with me for the needs in my life. Likewise, I pray for Wanda and believe God to help her with her needs. And, we both spend time in prayer for family, friends, church, and special needs. 

We began our devotional prayer life from our first phones calls even before we fell in love and even before we had our first date. We had these long phone conversations each night that ended in prayer for each other. 

Real men lead in prayer. It takes a man, not a sissy, to have the courage and discipline to lead in family devotions. Weaklings don't have the strength, fortitude, wisdom, or know how to do it. 

If you don't have a family prayer time, I encourage you to give it a try. Why not invite the Lord to walk with you through the day, and pray with those who are the dearest to you? 

Remember the old say. "Families who pray together, stay together."

It is not too late to start. 

Start today.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for this post! It is so easy to get distracted by "life" and forget the important foundations.

    Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true. My husband and I have been married more than three decades and have had morning devotions together for the last 15 years. It's hard to stay mad at a man who's prayed over you that morning. : ) It took a while to make it our habit, but once we did, the day wouldn't be complete without our time together. Great advice, Milton.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Side by side...praying and studying the Word of God together in His presence...what a great way to start and end the day! :)

    ReplyDelete