Friday, August 27, 2010

ONE FUNNY FUNERAL


Funerals aren't supposed to be funny. I mean--after all somebody died. That is why there is a funeral. Right? True. I have been to my share of funerals, and I have preached countless funerals in almost 40 years of ministry.

But I went to the most amazing and interesting funeral this week. It was a hoot. A real celebration. I don't think there was a Scripture verse read. Not one, but oh the impact was powerful.

The funeral was for Gladys Zink, one of the former pastor's wives of Southside Assembly where I now serve as lead pastor. She was 92 and her children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren were the speakers. She and her deceased husband, Rev. Dale Zink, were the pastors of Southside Assembly some 33 years ago.

Dale and Gladys didn't have much money, but they left a huge legacy. Just look at the picture above. That is their family. They all love the Lord and are serving Him, many of them as ministers and minister's wives.

Her family told story after story about Gladys that would make you roll with laughter. This lady loved the Lord, her family, The Church, and everyone for that matter. I knew her, and I knew she was funny. But, she passed all of my expectations and previous impressions as the family shared grand, funny story after story about her.

She taught her youngest son how to skip school. She would say during hard times that it was time to cuss and pray. Now that is a great preacher's wife. She would pull the pants of her grandchildren down as they walked through the house. She was really into making life alive.

There were sweet tears, and learning moments, and legacy leaving thoughts that flowed from her family as they talked about her. I am so glad I went. This is a great family that I have had the privilege of knowing for years. They all love the Lord and love one another. What a family.

Gladys Zink preached her whole life. Not with great sermons on Sunday. But she spoke as she lived life. She was a hoot.

The Lord willing, I hope to live a long time, but when I die this is the kind of funeral I would like to have.

No comments:

Post a Comment