Monday, January 16, 2012

REMEMBERING MARTIN LUTHER KING

I grew up in Montgomery, Al, as a boy when Martin Luther King lived there. He obviously was much older than me as he was a pastor. I was just a kid. I remember him leading marches and the beginnings of the Civil Rights Movement.

This Sunday at church one of our families mentioned that they would be a part of the Martin Luther King Parade today here in Jacksonville. There was a sense of pride, thankfulness, and excitement in their hearts. I was thrilled for them.

There once was a sad day in America when African Americans were pushed to the back and treated unfairly. Even worse there was a day of slavery. Thankfully those days are long gone. Segregation as I knew it as a boy has ended. Thank God. Regretfully, there are many predjudices that still exist race toward race and some even interracially. How sad.

Marting Luther King wasn't perfect, but he did push for a nonviolent approach toward ending racial inequality. I salute him for that and many other good things he did.

Today, may God help us to treat others as we would want to be treated. I believe our Lord taught us to do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment