Wednesday, January 11, 2012

READING THROUGH THE BIBLE

I have a greater hunger for God's Word. I have read it, memorized it, taught it, preached it, meditated on it, and quoted it all my life. In my family growing up we always included God's Word every morning before beginning the day. Mom or dad read the Scriptures to us. I learned the importance of God's Word daily through them.

Now I have made an even greater commitment to reading the Word. I don't know how many times I have read the Bible through. I have read and re-read it over and over. I have memorized many chapters and once memorized a whole book.

Why read the Bible?

It is alive. It is truth. It guides, corrects, instructs, inspires, comforts, and points the way to God. It feeds my soul and purifies my being. It helps me to keep from sinning. It convicts me of my sin and points me in the right way. It blesses my life. It is the best.

Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God. The Bible is The Word of God.

This year I am committing to reading the Bible through four times and the New Testament through four more times. So I will have read the New Testament through a total of eight times when the year ends.

How do you read the Bible through four times or once every ninety days? You do it by reading approxiamately fifteen chapters daily. To read the New Testament through in ninety days, you must read three chapters daily. That makes for reading 18 chapters or so each day. How long does that take? For me, it takes about forty minutes or so. That does not include studying or meditating, but merely reading through the text.

I have already read Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus and I am into Numbers. I have read through Matthew also. The more I read, them more I want to read. It is exhilarating!

I use YouVersion and one of their reading plans. It is a website that allows you to make an account and choose a reading plan. It checked it off as I read. It makes it easy to keep track.

Reading is a hobby for me anyhow. This year, I have already read Tim Tebow's new book that Wanda gave me for Christmas. Julie gave me a copy of his book too. I am reading Joel Osteen's new book, and also just completed reading Bart Starr's latest book. He is the legendary quarterback for Alabama and the Green Bay Packers.

Why read so much? There is so much to learn, experience, and enjoy.

Read the Bible first. It will feed you soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment