Wednesday, October 19, 2011

THE TAIL OF THE DRAGON


Wanda and I rode "The Tail of the Dragon" in Deals Gap, NC. We rode it in the rain. That is 11 miles with 318 curves. Now before you say we are crazy, let me tell you that I had a certified trainer coaching us through the drive.

People ride from all over America to ride Dragon's Tail. Personally I don't think it is the toughest ride in the Smokies, but it is extremely challenging.




What is the point of riding Dragon's Tail?

For a biker, it is the challenge.
It is fun.
It is beautiful.
It gives bragging rites.
It is an amazing ride.




They have a "Tree of Shame" at the bottom where motorcycle parts are hung from fallen motorcycles. We didn't do it with thrill expectations riding at fast speeds. It was more a fun ride just enjoying the curves. I will admit the first part in hard rain wasn't the best, but we rode through that in a moment and then the ride was pleasant.


Riding in the Smokies is so different than in Florida. Here it is straight and boring. I love Florida, but I love riding in the Smokies more.

Isn't Wanda a trooper. She said she actually enjoyed riding Dragon's Tail. Now that is some wife

1 comment:

  1. You went at a good time of year to see the foliage too. I used to go here with my husband and our best friends. We got hotel rooms with a door between and we played pinochle at night after a ride through deals gap or a white water rafting trip or just shopping and sight seeing in the nearby town of Silva. These are memories I will always treasure.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete