Monday, February 28, 2011

A 5 MILE RUN


Saturday I ran the 5m Ortega River Run. There were a couple thousand or so in the race and I finished about mid of the pack. I think I was the 959th person to finish and ran it in 54:03.

I could have finished higher but I started way back in the line almost totally in the back. That made me have to weave through several hundred runners as my pace was faster than they were running. Then because I started so far back, there were many more that I would have beaten if I had just started ahead of them as we were running the same pace.

Well, it was hot and humid. There more I ran the hotter it got. Whew! Sweat! More sweat! And whew again.

I learned that I need to hydrate my body more the day or so before doing longer runs. I need to leave off sweets. I need more carbs. I need to lose about 15 pounds.

The good news is that I did finish. I did not throw up. I had no ankle, leg, or back pain. All of that is really good as I had been battling muscle strains on my whole left side.

So the 15K Gate River Run is coming up in a little over a week. I need to run two long runs in the next week and then gear down. That is my plan. I will gear up quickly and then slow down and rest for the big event.

Finishing is a good feeling. It doesn't matter what we're doing. When we finish there is a feeling of completion, productivity, and satisfaction.

I plan on finishing the race. I mean the big race. The eternal race. With His help, I will finish strong.

No comments:

Post a Comment