Friday, February 11, 2011

STOP


Several months back I was visiting a parishioner at one of our local hospitals which had just gone through a major renovation, addition, and facelift. As I walked out the front door of the hospital on my way back to my car, I turned a corner to walk across the street in the marked crosswalk and was nearly hit by a car driving too fast. The driver of the car didn't see me, and it could have very well cost my life or at least left me with serious injury. I was startled to say the least.

Once I gained my composure, I walked on toward my car. Then it hit me. (No pun intended!) Someone else will go this way and may very well be hit. This is a accident waiting to happen.

I turned around and went back into the hospital. I asked to speak with an administrator and told them what had happened. We went outside when I pointed to the problem. It was a design error that needed to be corrected, and the administrator agreed.

The next time I was back to the hospital there was a stop sign placed to stop cars lest someone get hurt. It was a very needed addition to their improvements. I wonder how many might have been injured if the stop sign had not been added?

I have thought about this every time I go back to that hospital, but from another standpoint. I have spent my life trying to help save people from eternal hurt and mortal injury. I have tried to point people to one who saves from all manner of sin and harm.

I wonder how many have been spared eternal hurt?

I think I will try to find a few more stop signs to put out.

No comments:

Post a Comment