Friday, January 29, 2010

SAVE THE TREE

TREES

by: Joyce Kilmer (1886-1918)

      THINK that I shall never see
      A poem lovely as a tree.
      A tree whose hungry mouth is prest
      Against the earth's sweet flowing breast;
      A tree that looks at God all day,
      And lifts her leafy arms to pray;
      A tree that may in Summer wear
      A nest of robins in her hair;
      Upon whose bosom snow has lain;
      Who intimately lives with rain.
      Poems are made by fools like me,
      But only God can make a tree.

Don't worry. I haven't become a tree hugger, but I do think trees are great additions to God's creation.

I have visited the Joyce Kilmer Memorial Forrest close to Robbinsville, NC. It is a beautiful forrest and makes for a lovely walk. God makes trees and Kilmer's poem Trees is a wonderful tribute to God's glorious creation.

But I have a sick tree in my back yard. We are treating it with tender loving care and hoping that we can bring it back from death's door. Trees take a long time to grow to offer shade from the summer's heat and piercing rays. This tree blocks the sun from our backyard deck late in the afternoons to make our deck even more enjoyable.

I am praying for this tree for health and healing. God cares about sparrows and lilies and me. I believe He cares about trees too.

No comments:

Post a Comment