Friday, June 19, 2009

THREE CHEERS FOR DAD


I have the greatest dad in the world. 

No, he is not perfect, but he is the greatest dad in the world.

Dad is 84 and he and mom still watch over their brood of five children. I am the oldest and the one they most strived to make perfect. I got more spankings than all of my other siblings but Norma. She is less than one year younger than me so I think they tried to make her perfect too, but they didn't do as good a job on her as they did me! HA! 

The picture above includes my younger brother Max. We share the same birthday just a few years apart. 

What are my memories with dad while growing up?

We fished, flew model planes, did skits together to promote youth camps he oversaw for the A/G denomination in Alabama, took family trips, and had long behind the barn talks. No, we didn't have a barn, but we did have some very long talks that kept me on track. Dad is a preacher so I heard years of sermons at church and at home. I will have to admit that he is a good preacher and has some amazing stories to tell. 

I have said that my mother led me to Jesus, but dad kept me saved. His prayers, his base voice, and his belt worked--not necessarily all in that order. HA!

Dad always brought his paycheck home. He never drank, smoked, or cursed me. He has always been there for me--even now when I am approaching 60. 

Now that is a great father.

He prays for me now everyday. He is just a phone call away. He will spend Father's Day with me and we will share Father's Day dinner together. 

Thanks dad for all you have done for me. I am grateful.

8 comments:

  1. Hope you have a happy and blessed fathers day!

    Kevin & Tamatha Jones

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Milton. I'm grateful to be your Dad! You and your siblings have and continue to make me a proud Father. I'm glad to know each of you got your good looks from me.............since your Mother is still beautiful. I look forward to spending Father's Day with you and your pretty bride, Wanda.

    Happy Father's Day to you. You are a great Dad!

    Love ya,

    ReplyDelete
  3. Milton what a great tribute to your Dad. He did a good job.

    Many Blessings
    Barbara
    B.J.Brooks / Robinson

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep, he's one great great dad. Sorry you needed all those spankings Milton, guess they got it right by number 5. hee hee.
    We are truly truly blessed.
    love ya,
    your "baby sister" (who's almost 40)
    janet

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wanda's Sister, CarolynJune 19, 2009 at 6:01 PM

    Wanda and I had one of the best dads in the world. He was humble, tender-hearted and giving. The most giving thing about him was love for his family and others. WE were very poor growing up and had few material things, but our daddy and mother had a wealth of love. He died 3 years ago, and we all miss him dearly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Be thankful you still have your father. Mine has been gone almost 19 years, so Father's Day is a non-entity for me, except for the reminder to thank the Lord for giving me a good dad.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have a Great Dad and we are blessed when he visits.

    Rick Peterson

    ReplyDelete