Friday, June 26, 2009

I'M A HEAVEN'S ANGEL

I'm a biker, a Heaven's Angel.

I gotten into motorcycle riding, or at least I've started. 

For a number of years I have had this in the back of my mind. Several years ago Kristy and I went on a get-a-way in Amelia Island and stayed at the Florida Inn, the oldest working hotel in Fl. It is unique, historic and a fun place with mopeds for guests to ride. We rode one and she loved it. We thought about getting into biking then, but just never followed up.

Several weeks back I mentioned to Wanda that I might like to get into biking and asked if she would ride with me. She said she would so I took
a motorcycle riding course. 

I almost got killed in the safety course, not from the motorcycle but from a tornado that hit the parking lot where we took the course. I survived and now have bought my first bike. My bike that I rode in the safety course is just beyond the damaged cars in the picture. We got off our bikes and literally ran for cover as the tornado came out of nowhere. 


My bike is huge with room for Wanda to go cruising with me. It will be several months before she rides as I am taking time to get comfortable with the bike. A church member, Jim, is training me and up to this point I only ride in a church parking lot around the corner from my house. I have also ridden slowly a couple times in my neighborhood.

A couple of my neighbors have gotten a real kick out of their neighbor "preacher" getting a bike. It is fire engine red and is a Honda Gold Wing. I bought it used and saved a bundle over what a new bike costs.

Am I going through a late "mid life" crisis? 

I don't think so as this has been an interest of mine for a long time. I have a number of preacher friends and buddies who ride. They have been after me to get a bike, and I wouldn't until I saw if I could pass a safety course. Now that I have, I am taken ample time to get comfortable of riding before getting on the open rode. 

It will be an outlet from me, and Wanda and I will enjoy riding together as well as with friends. Say an extra prayer. Cycling is fun but it is also dangerous. This bike has lots of lights, a loud horn, and is fire engine red and all that helps in people seeing and hearing you.  However, it is still a very defensive sport. All eyes and ears have to be focused.

So call me a Heaven's Angel. I prefer that over Hell's Angel. HA!

9 comments:

  1. So, why are you parking in a Handycap zone??

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, did that come out of the blue? I remember when my parents started riding...talk about praying!

    I'm sure you'll be comfortable enough to take your bride on a spin soon enough. Of course, we'll all be praying for your safety.

    Red...my favorite color!

    God Bless,
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  3. ROCK ON PASTOR... !
    You need a larger flag for the back...

    Enjoy the wind in your face...

    Peace and Love...

    Char Hedgepeth

    ReplyDelete
  4. ROCK ON PASTOR... !
    You need a larger flag for the back...

    Enjoy the wind in your face...

    Peace and Love...

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is awesome Milton! Great looking bike and I loved the Daniel Boone song....the original tune is my favorite and brings back such wonderfulmemories of my childhood years. Enjoy your new ride and be safe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Daniel Boone....Heaven's Angel...who are you and what have you done with my brother???????

    (Sis) Norma

    ReplyDelete
  7. By all means, please buy the biker's protective gear. It may have saved a friend's life several years ago. And do be careful. It's rough out there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Go Milton. My husband and I have had our Goldwing 5 years. WE LOVE IT! We are 57 and 51...it's all good! We live in California and we have been to Canada twice and took a 2 week trip to Montana last year. It's our time to get away from everything else and just talk..no distractions! Our bike is BRIGHT yellow. Our friends give us a bad time, but hey, people can definitely see us! We have two couple friends that ride Harleys and let me tell you, I am the most comfortable wife...Wanda will love the room and comfort of a Gold Wing. You will have many years of blessing. One of our favorite things to do on our rides is sing the old hymns...we feel the glory come down!

    Blessings on you both as you begin this new adventure in life!!

    Evonne (husband Brad)
    Chico CA

    ReplyDelete
  9. About the tonado, did you get any pictures? What side of town were you on?

    ReplyDelete