Wednesday, June 24, 2009

CALL ME DANIEL BOONE




The raccoon is gone! I caught him in my trap.

Wanda and I enjoy bird watching as we eat breakfast on our back porch, but every sense the raccoons invaded our back yard to eat the bird seed we have been able to enjoy the birds. I bought a trap and set it up to catch the raccoons and relocate them.

My first catch was a pitiful squirrel that I released and let go. The next night I caught this raccoon and he looked so forlorn and sad that I almost let him go too. 

But I didn't.




Sunday afternoon I took him for a ride down Beach Blvd. to find a spot to release him. Eventually I saw some wooded areas behind the Post Office and Sam's that I felt he would enjoy. I got the trap out of my trunk and set it down pointed toward the woods. 

Slowly I opened the cage and released the little guy. What did he do? He turned right toward Sam's and ran as fast as he could. He was gone and the last time I saw him he was peeking around the corner of Sam's trying to find his way. 

I don't know if he went shopping or what, but he isn't in my back yard now. There are probably more raccoons to be caught, but we are enjoying the birds again.

Just call me Daniel Boone. 

"Daniel Boone was a man, yes a real man!"

 Isn't that how the little tune goes?

***

Wed. 8:36 AM

Oops, I didn't have the lyrics right. Here are the words to the tune. Double click below to hear the original version sung.

Lyrics by Vera Matson, Music by Lionel Newman


(Copyright 1964, 1966 Twentieth Century Music Corporation, New York, NY)

Daniel Boone was a man,
Yes, a big man!
With an eye like an eagle
And as tall as a mountain was he!

Daniel Boone was a man,
Yes, a big man!
He was brave, he was fearless
And as tough as a mighty oak tree!

From the coonskin cap on the top of ol' Dan
To the heel of his rawhide shoe;
The rippin'est, roarin'est, fightin'est man
The frontier ever knew!

Daniel Boone was a man,
Yes, a big man!
And he fought for America
To make all Americans free!

What a Boone! What a doer!
What a dream come-er-true-er was he!

Daniel Boone was a man!
Yes, a big man!
With a whoop and a holler
he c'd mow down a forest of trees!

Daniel Boone was a man!
Yes, a big man!
If he frowned at a river
In July all the water would freeze!

But a peaceable, pioneer fella was Dan
When he smiled all the ice would thaw!
The singin'est, laughin'est, happiest man
The frontier ever saw!

Daniel Boone was a man!
Yes, a big man!
With a dream of a country that'd
Always forever be free!

What a Boone! What a do-er!
What a dream-come-er-true-er was he!

4 comments:

  1. so glad u didnt trap that squireel. i love them lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I visited Daniel Boone's historic homesite in Missouri a few years back. Pretty neat house he had!
    Have a great day brother, Tricia

    ReplyDelete