Wednesday, August 10, 2011

A FRIEND ON THE TRAIL




Tuesday morning Wanda and I got up extra early to watch the sunrise over the Grand Canyon. It was SPECTACULAR! We were up at 5 AM and out on the south rim by 5:20. Around 5:48 or so, the sun was out in all of its glory, and it is really glorious shining over the colors of the Grand Canyon.

Then, after a quick breakfast, we headed down the canyon. Wanda went about .4 m with me, and then I hiked another mile + down the canyon. It takes anywhere from 2 to 4 hours on this particular hike. To go all the way to the bottom takes about 6 hours one way.



Wanda was a trooper and headed down the trail with me. It was cool, thankfully, as we left around 7 AM. We had plenty of water and trail mix for salt so we could stay properly hydrated.

The scenes were just fantastic. It is one thing to look down at the canyon, but it is another to walk right down into the middle of it. The colors and size of the canyon stand out even more.

I wasn't sure how I would fare hiking down and back up, but I made it round trip in 2 hours and 15 minutes. Not bad for an old guy. I passed a lot of young bucks huffing and puffing. Maybe all my running paid of some.


They have mule trips which I would have loved to have taken. They go all the way to the bottom of the canyon and stay over night. Wanda wasn't so sure about staying over night, but maybe next time. After hiking for an hour or so, those mules looked like Cadillacs.








I met several nice folks along the way. Everyone needs someone to snap a group picture, and we did too. I also met a number of chipmunks. They are spunky little creatures, and quite selfish. They fight one another and the strongest wins. They beg, and you aren't suppose to feed them, but I snuck them a few peanuts.

It is so amazing all of God's creation. I am awed over and over again. The Grand Canyon made me realize even more how very big our God is.


2 comments:

  1. Superb pictures......glad you enjoyed the scenes. BTW, do everyone a favor........when you made a picture...please pull your sunshades off.....you can be recognized better...:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, but you do know who I am. Maybe the picture would look better too with our faces fully exposed. At least Wanda would look better.

    ReplyDelete