Monday, June 28, 2010

A SIMPLE PHONE CALL

Sunday morning while prayerfully preparing for the day, I received a phone call from a life-long friend. I have known him since I was six or so. We used to go home with each other after church on Sunday afternoons. We went to college together. We spent a summer ministry internship together. We have preached for each other through the years. His father and my father ministered for each other in their earlier years and are friends.

Steve is a great friend, and even more, he is a great man of God.

Steve is in a fight for his life as he was diagnosed with a very serious brain tumor just a few weeks back. Brain surgery left him paralyzed on his left side. He is gaining some recovery from the paralysis, but it is slow. Now he is going through radiation and chemo treatments.

But Sunday morning, God spoke a word to Steve about me and the church I pastor, and he called me and shared in faith what God had told him. His words were to the point, and he spoke with faith. He said that this word would be life changing for those present in my church if I would be obedient, and he was right.

I obeyed God to the best of my ability and God moved in a powerful way. Lives were changed and needs were met. After our choir sung an anointed song about the name of Jesus, I ministered briefly from Acts 28 and spoke about unexpected adventures. We read in that chapter that Paul went through a severe trial with accusations and hardship, yet God turned this unexpected adventure into a life changing moment. Many were healed as God used Paul right in the middle of a difficult place.

By the way, you do know that between mountain peaks there will always be a valley?

Steve is going through an unexpected adventure and it is being used to change lives forever. Maybe you are going through something that you never had an idea you would face. I have good news for you. God will take it and break it and shape it and mold it and release it and mighty things will happen that will bless others and glorify God.

Sunday, God used Steve through a simple phone call to release faith into my heart, and God did something of life changing power. Are you willing to be obedient to the Lord like Steve? Even in your brokenness and unexpected adventure?

It might be a simple phone call. It might be a profound phone call.

No comments:

Post a Comment