Monday, November 12, 2012

SO PROUD OF DAD AND MAX

Saturday, Wanda and I drove down to Fruitland Park to celebrate with Dad as he received a special honor as the oldest veteran living in their community. They honored him by giving him an American Flag which had flown over the U.S. Capital in Washington D.C. It had also flown on their community flag pole since Memorial Day. 

Max and his wife, Darlene, were there too to join the special day. Dad also serves as their community chaplain and offered prayer as the brief ceremony began. That made me proud too. 

They pulled the flag down and folded it and then gave it to Dad. He had served in the U.S. Navy during World War II along with thousands of other service personnel. Some say this was the greatest generation. I would agree.



After Dad received his flag, he called Max up to the front with him and then gave Max his flag. Max had also served in the Navy on a nuclear submarine. I can't imagine how he was able to make 3 month tours submerged. That takes more than I have.



It was a tender moment for both Dad and Max. I also touched me too. I saw numerous people wiping tears as Dad honored his son. 

Thank God for all of our veterans. I am thankful to Dad and Max for their service. They make me proud. 

No comments:

Post a Comment