What is a tithe? Glad you asked.
It is a tenth of the increase which God has given us which we "bring" to the house of the Lord. It is the portion that God says is His. We don't "give" it, we "bring" what is His to His House. It is the "first" of that which God has blessed us. It doesn't belong to us to give, but God has declared repeatedly in His Word that the tithe is His.
1. God says to tithe.
2. It was practiced before the Law, in the Law, and under Grace.
3. Jesus said we should tithe.
4. To miss the curse that comes if we don't tithe.
5. To receive the blessing promised if we tithe with the right heart and motive.
6. God tithed. He gave the "first born" of heaven for us.
7. God has been too good to us for us to be cheap with Him.
8. Tithing requires faith. Faith pleases God.
9. It is the means God has ordained for the care of His servants and His house.
10. Souls are saved when we tithe.
11. It is a test of the heart. We need to pass this test.
12. It shows who and what we love. Look at your checkbook and you will find out what you truly love.
13. It is the one test we can give God. God said to try me, test me on this one issue.
14. There is joy found in tithing.
15. It is a proven promise. Tithers testify of blessings. Non-tithers testify they don't have enough to tithe. Seems like non-tithers should want to get on the blessing side of this equation.
Why don't people tithe?
1. Unbelief, fear, sin.
2. Lack of knowledge.
3. Blindness of the Devil.
4. They failed the test.
6. Yielding to the sin of thievery.
7. They love mammon more than Jesus.
8. They don't have a love for the lost.
9. They're cheap and want someone else to pay for
the food at God's house.
10. Ungratefulness. If we are truly grateful that Christ died on the Cross for our sins and we have been saved, then bringing a tithe is a joy.
Don't worry. I am not going to take up an offering.
I just needed to preach a little. Can someone say a big "Amen!"