Wednesday, April 14, 2010

IRKED WITH ERRORS

Mistakes, errors, misspellings, and faux pas can be daunting. Diligence helps prevent many missteps, but even with diligence unforced errors occur.

I have published many different short bulletins, magazines, and written untold letters, blogs, and done all shorts of writing. It irks me when I have mistakes in them, but I refuse to let that stop me from writing and attempting to communicate things that God has put into my heart.

Once I received a major, heavy duty mail-out from the leading national expert on leadership in America. He was promoting a conference on "Excellence in Leadership." It was a full color multi-fold costing thousands to produce promoting top speakers who were all focused on developing excellence in leadership. Amazingly, I counted five or six misspellings and errors in the first two paragraphs on the mail-out.

I laughed out loud when I read it noticing all of the mistakes. I had my secretary file it for future reference. It was a hoot. I thought, "Well now, if this is excellence then I can only wait to attend the conference." It made me feel that there was hope for me and maybe a little grace could be given when I made errors in publications.

Now don't get me wrong, I don't like errors, and I should and will work harder to catch them before printing. Misspellings can be glaring and certainly don't make for good reading. Blogs are somewhat less formal writing, but that is not a good excuse for allowing printing misspellings or incorrect word use or bad grammar.

I know. Still not good, and I will try harder, but I will not quit writing just because of a few errors here and there. No one has gotten on my case about this, but sometimes I catch them late after posting this blog. It irks me, but I will not be irked out of writing.

I just pull that "Excellance in Ledership" brochure out and chuckle as I type.

2 comments:

  1. Hi...I'm sorry that I'm not sure how to locate a private contact or I would've said this privately, but I just wanted to give you an FYI that you do have a typo in the header of your site. I think that where it says, "Plea is an appeal to chose the higher good," you may be wanting "choose" with 2 O's instead.

    Again, I'm very sorry I couldn't find a private area to leave this message, but I just thought you'd want to know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, read today's blog. I'm irked with errors but still willing to receive info from good folks. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete