Wednesday, October 28, 2009

WHAT ARE YOU READING?

I love to read.

My reading appetite is varied and begins with the Bible, devotional books, ministry resources, marital information, sports, motorcycle riding, and other topics found in books, magazines, blogs, Internet resources, using my personal library and city library and various others sources. I love to read the newspaper though I have left it off my reading list for a number of months. Now I look more to Internet to occasionally read the local paper and various other news sources.

Reading is more than a hobby to me. It is a source of insight, knowledge, growth, and blessing. It opens the world to me both in a spiritual sense and in a practical everyday manner. It is a quick way to glean from the knowledge of others and most of all from God and His Word.

What am I reading beyond the Bible and sermon resource books?

My current reading list includes:

You Were Born for This by Bruce Wilkinson
Devotions for Couples by Patrick Morley
Branding Yourself by Sherry Beck Paprocki and Ray Paprocki
The Score Takes Care of Itself by Bill Walsh
Organizing Your Day by Sandra Felton and Marsha Sims
Motorcycling Excellence by The Motorcycle Safety Foundation
Proficient Motorcycling by David L. Hough

I loved to read National Geographic and Reader's Digest and sports magazines and Southern Living and Traditional Home and motorcycle magazines. Whew, that is a lot of reading with lots of enjoyment.

I enjoy stopping by the local library once a week or so to browse for a while and read magazines and check out the new book shelf. It saves lots of money to use the library and not spend so much on purchasing books that once read will sit on the shelf.

There are many favorite books that I enjoy and I love biographies of great historical figures. Fiction is not at the top of my list but there are some great stories that inspire and add to life. Oh, I also enjoy good joke books. I have a large stack of them with thousands of jokes and humorous stories to find a great laugh. Reading is a wonderful way to open the world right into your family room and broaden one's view.

Now, which book shall I go read now?

1 comment:

  1. Shame on you, Milton, for advocating that people use the library rather than support the author by BUYING the book! I'm kidding, of course, but it would be nice if those who could would support starving authors by buying books whenever possible. You can always donate them to your church library or public library or give as gifts if you don't have the shelf space. But as you know, writers struggle to make a living wage partly because too many people borrow books rather than buy them.

    ReplyDelete