Wednesday, May 27, 2009

FUN WITH SOME MONKEYS

Did you know that gorillas cannot swim? They can't swim very well, if at all, and drown if they fall into  water and can't get out. One drowned a few years ago at the Jacksonville Zoo as he fell into a large, deep moat and could not get out. 

The gorilla, named Ben, was one of four male gorillas known as “the bachelors.”  Ben was born on August 12, 1985, at the Oklahoma City Zoo.  He came to the Jacksonville Zoo and Gardens in 1998.  In a freak accident, the death occurred when another gorilla, named Quito, was chasing Ben. Ben slipped on the sloop of the moat in the exhibit, fell in and drowned. 

I saw the report on the evening news about the drowning, and had met the big guy. Well, you know that we hadn't met, but I had been by his cage many times in my trips to the Jacksonville Zoo with my grands.  He fell in and just couldn't get out and drowned. That was sad.






Nic and Alex were here over the weekend with their mother, Julie,  and we went to the zoo on Monday. They love for Papa to take them so I have annual zoo passes and we make a day of it whenever they are here.

They love the animals, play areas, and zoo activities. It is an relatively inexpensive thing to do and we make lots of memories. One memory we made in a previous  visit was backtracking all over the zoo to find a tennis shoe Nic took off while I was pushing him in a stroller. I wanted to skin the little guy because he was always taking those shoes off. It took forever to find his lost shoe. What is it with little kiddies taking shoes off in the car over and over only to have to be laced and re-tied? Why do kiddies take their shoes off over and over?

Nic and Alex are growing up and it won't be too many years before I can only hope they will show me some attention. I call Alex my best Pal and Nic is my best buddy. Now I have Cole, and Page, and Alex to go with Claudia and Lorenzo. They make up a large bunch of little monkeys to take to the zoo.
We went to the zoo, zoo, zoo. How about you, you, you?

The last picture is one with all the grands. Aren't they really grand!




3 comments:

  1. Wow, what adorable grandkids! The trip to the zoo looks like a lot of fun. I'm so happy for all of you :)

    All best,
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can relate to the shoe incident! If I ever find out why they take their shoes off, I will be a rich person, maybe not rich, but definitely famous! We have chased down many shoes in two short years!

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rebecca Kristy's sisterMay 29, 2009 at 1:26 PM

    These pictures are great! Looks like you all had a wonderful time. So glad Julie and boys could spend the weekend with you. I know it was special for all of you.
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete