Friday, March 23, 2012

ENCOURAGEMENT

Thursday I made several phone calls to talk with church members who had needs. As each conversation began, I shared that they had been on my mind and heart and that I just had to hear their voice and find out how they were doing. I could sense on the end of the line their deep appreciation for a simple, caring phone call. I could tell that those few moments help lifted spirits and help make for a better day.

As I talked with each person, something happened in each call. As I had shown love and care for them, they in turn responded with love and encouragement for me. After I had completed the calls, I assure you that I felt much better and encouraged.

Encouraging others doesn't take lots of money, time, or effort. It does take a thoughtful heart. It requires getting one's mind off of self. It takes looking beyond their shortcomings and faults. It takes looking deeper and with more specific detail.

I have been encouraged by a simple compliment that blessed me for months due to its encouragement.

When Wanda and I were dating, I felt the Lord impress on me to call her Beautiful. I have done that every day. She is beautiful. I can tell she loves it. It makes her feel special. It encourages her.

Now, I am smarter than the average bear. Ha!

It is to my advantage to help make her feel love, cherished, and the most important person in the world to me. When I do, guess who reaps the rewards?

Got it?

Those phone calls I made on Thursday were to encourage others, but guess what happened?

They encouraged and blessed me more.

No comments:

Post a Comment