Friday, May 31, 2013

I CAN'T BELIEVE MY EYES

I was riding Sate Rd. 11 heading back to Jacksonville after visiting my mom and dad. My mind was focused on driving but was also mentally wandering as I thought on a myriad of things on my agenda. Highway 11 is a pure scenic Florida road with pasture land, palms, small creeks, and palmettos.

Then I saw something far ahead on the road that looked like a long palm branch. I slowed but continued forward wondering if I should ride over it or dart around it. The closer I got the odder and bigger it looked.

Then I saw clearly what was it my path. I shouldn't have been shocked knowing where I was, but I was stunned for a moment.

It was a huge alligator that stretched across  my side of the highway. This was no baby gator, but a full grown bull. Wow!

I swerved and looked into my rear view mirror as the gator rose and continued across the road. It was stunning and surprising. I couldn't believe my eyes. I have traveled thousands of miles on Florida roads from south to north and never scene a gator across the road like this one.

Actually, I was on the phone and gasped surprising the person I was talking too. I said, "You won't believe what I just passed on this road." They were shocked too and wanted to know where I was driving.

This is gator country. They are not all in Gainesville.

No comments:

Post a Comment