Wednesday, March 14, 2012

FITNESS FOR LIFE

The older I get the more I realize that you only get one body. Just one. No more. No less. The older I get the more wrinkles, aches, and pains set in. What is one to do?

I don't think it will get better. The fall of man is hitting me. Yet, I know all isn't lost.

In this life, I know that what I have is what will be, but I can take care of it. Proper dieting, adequate rest, good thinking, and moderate exercise all have a part in how I will fair. One key to better health and feeling good is stretching.

I am not into yoga, but meditation is Biblical. Stretching is Biblical too. I don't know where one would find it in the Bible, but I will look.

Since slowly getting into stretching, I can touch my toes while standing up with relative ease. My muscles feel stronger. Aches and pains are not as bad.

On Friday before the recent 15K Gate River Run, I get a massage at one of the booths at the pickup station for running numbers. Man, did that ever feel good. It was provided by one of the local rehab centers who were there promoting their business. Wow! I enjoyed that. My muscles felt great. I know it helped my run the next day.

They confirmed again the importance of simple stretching. Stretching is painless but really effective. It increases balance, muscle tone, and endurance. I feel better.

I have only one body. What I do with it counts for life.

No comments:

Post a Comment